St Mary Magdalen’s is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for children, staff and visitors. We recognise that all adults, including temporary staff, volunteers and governors, have a full and active part to play in protecting our children from harm, and that the child’s welfare is our paramount concern. All staff believe that our school should provide a caring, positive safe and stimulating environment that promotes the social, physical and moral development of the individual child.
There are five main elements to our Safeguarding Policy:
- Ensuring we practise safe recruitment in checking the suitability of staff and volunteers to work with children. All staff and volunteers in regulated activity with must have a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check. In addition to the DBS check all staff and volunteers are required to complete a “School Staff Disqualification Declaration”
- Raising awareness of child protection issues and equipping children with the skills needed to keep them safe.
- Developing and then implementing procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases, of abuse.
- Supporting pupils who have been abused in accordance with his/her agreed child protection plan.
- Establishing a safe environment in which children can learn and develop.